so here’s a handy chart I found of every official summer olympic mascot. the olympics started featuring mascots in 1972, though
- I WAS WRONG ABOUT THERE NOT BEING ANY GOOD MASCOTS. i like Seoul 1988’s geometric tiger and Barcelona 1992’s cool little dog.
- Izzy is far and away the worst, with a close second being Athens 2008’s “deformed twins” and Los Angeles 1984’s “Clip-Art eagle”
- there’s something about Sydney 2000’s mascots that seems really unsettling, but I can’t put my finger on it
- “unevenly-rainbow-colored dachsund” is a shitty mascot. “evenly-rainbow-colored beaver” I might wear on a t-shirt though
- millions of dollars to design these things and nobody knows how to draw a decent-looking bear
incidentally, the first UNofficial mascot was the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics’ “Smoky the Dog”
which like obviously he is the best
ecxuse me but
nothing gets much more ugly than these fuckers
the green & orange one on the far right are kind of cute, though..